Monday, December 6, 2010

Inspiration for Luminare

For my luminare design I was inspired by two different designers.  During our class day light artist presentations I was really inspired by Ingo Maurer's work.  Originally I wanted to just use wood to try to represent my light phenomenon but through observing some of Ingo's work that idea changed drastically.  A lot of his lights were designed using wire and some type of paper material.  It was really interesting and inspiring to see how he used such simple items that we ourselves had been using in previous projects to make very inspiring projects.  From looking at his designs I decided to use wire and paper ad the main materials for my project.

One of Ingo Maurer's light fixtures

Later on in my process Leah introduced me to a sculpter in Greensboro named Jim Gallucci.  One of his pieces which reminded me of my project was a sculpted gate called fluttergate. 

Fluttergate was inspirational to me because the concept of squares and rods compare to my luminare.  The piece is very dense with squares that fade into the rod structure on the left.  From the fluttergate I begin to play with my design.  I started thinking about how a cloud was made of many layers dense in some areas and less dense in others.  From this I wanted to use my wire and paper in a way that my squares layered and cluster and then faded into the wire so that the bottom layering effect represented the density of a cloud and as the squares gradually faded it represented the less dense areas of a cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment