Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Beginning of Lumiare from material to 2nd to last prototype

The material I decided to use for my Luminare was silver wire and translucent vellum.  I stuck with these two materials throughout my entire project because I liked the simplicity of threading the vellum through the wire which would have been more complex if using a material such as milar.  I also really liked the translucency of the paper.  I chose to cut my paper is squares because I felt you could get a better feel of the layering.  Also, when I think about a could I see the many layers that make it up and when visualising it I see tiny squares of water all coming together to make a huge cloud. 



I first wanted to try to make a circular object binding the wire to my light so it all came together as one. 



I then played around with the ides of making a stand of my circular object out of wood but before that went into effect I liked the idea of just making arches of wire stretching across a flat board of wood.



 I tried placing black sqaures in the center to show darker areas of layer like my light phenomenon represented but this was unsuccessful so I did not use them any further


From here I made my 2nd to last model that was on wood.  I put 1/8'' grooves every 1/4'' all the way across my board and in every groove I placed a wire.  I chose to do this because it helded the wire have more of a relationship with the board in that it all flowed with the wire stopping but having the effect of extending all the way to the end. The placement of my light was in correspondence with the effect of density in my project.  The squares were to begin at the bottom and slowly fade out into the wires at the top of the board.








Issuee I wanted to focus on in my next model and final:
Work on hiding the light better and making it more stable to the board
Figuring a way without using glue to place my wires in the board
Better overall composition that help to show my layers and fading effects better.


No comments:

Post a Comment