Thursday, September 15, 2011

Steps in D.C.

So this week was our studio trip to Washington D.C.!  The people I was traveling with and I arrived Sunday afternoon so we did some exploring.  We traveled and explored Chinatown, since it was so close to our hotel, along with checking out the sculpture gardens around the national mall.  For dinner that night we ate at a self serve Italian restaurant.  Although the food wasn't that great the interior of the restaurant was absolutely amazing. When we first entered the place you are immediately engulfed the color red. There were red lights in areas signifying lounge areas accompanied with red furniture.  As you flow more into the formal dinning area the colors transition to browns with high simple square tables with high benches.  Also on every table was a long bonsai  tree along with large bonsai trees strategically placed through the room.  The place gave me a very modern, urban feel and took me to a place unlike regular dinning areas do.
The next day we met up with the rest of the class and toured the Smithsonian Museums.  In touring the museums, I think that it was really helpful for me understand what we have been learning in class so far. Most of the larger museums did a really good job at connecting the lobby with the identity of the space as some of the smaller museums struggled.  Overall, I really think that the main thing I would like to bring back to the IOB project is the initial engulfment I received when walking into the Natural History Museum, American History Museum, and the Aeronautic Museum.  When entering these museums I immediately felt the identity of the museums along with the fact that the lobby spaces drew me into wanting to see the rest of the museum.  I think that with the IOB this would be a key element since most people now do not know what they building is or are draw away from it because of its appeal.
That afternoon a few of us went and explored all the national monuments and memorial sites.   They were all really fascinating.  I was really draw to the Korean and Vietnam memorials because of there very interesting similarities and differences.  Last year in History class we discussed the Vietnam memorial and the impact it had when viewing it. As one descends into the monument he/she becomes overwhelmed by the large black marble wall and immediately one is filled with a somber state of mind.  I believe the Korean War memorial wall was designed from the Vietnam memorial in that it also has a large black marble wall descending however the wall itself is not as long or as encompassing because it is accompanied by life size statues of soldiers.   I do feel like the wall was an equal success in its own way because instead of having names etched into the wall there are faces sketched into the wall staring back at you.  As you walk and look at the wall you are looking into the faces of thousands of people along with feeling surrounded bu life size statues. The Korean memorial made me feel more attached with the actual war as the Vietnam memorial made me feel more attached to the aftermath of the war. 
Vietnam War Memorial


Korean War Memorial


No comments:

Post a Comment