Sunday, September 11, 2011

IOB experience

For the last three years I have lived in Greensboro I always wondered about a random, somewhat creepy building off Lee St.  Turns out that building is the Industries of the Blind and although creepy on the outside, so much fascinating productivity occurs within the building every day that goes unnoticed. When I first walked into the building I felt like I was going through top security.  I felt unaware of what I was about to enter.  Once through the doors I was completely taken back by a huge garden of what looked like misplaced and mismatched plants and trees circling a fountain.  The lobby space was small and pretty much forced a pathway up the stairs.  Once up stairs the most inviting space is the conference room where they had many displays of the products they make, etc.  The rest of the space was composed of offices and a series of doors which lead into the actually factory area.  David was so kind to give us a tour of the whole factory areas so that we would get a firsthand look at the work done in the factory.   I was so confused with the pathway as we walked through the factory.  We went up the stairs, down them. Through doors and this way and that way.  When seeing the workers working it looked like a sweatshop set up.  They were sitting in large rooms but all gathered in the middle with machines.  I think that for the blind however that that is the best way for them to work.  Every pathway throughout the factory was wide open and followed by 2 bumpy yellow and blue lines.  I am not sure if those lines were helpful guides for the blind workers?  Honestly, I was so confused through the place; it really truly amazes me that they are able to navigate so well throughout the confusing factory.  It felt like there were so many long narrow hallways that seemed pointless.  David told us that as soon as you walk in the door the word ‘disabilities’ goes out the window so I am not going to say disable however, I think that it is fascinating to see the quality of work and labor conducted by the blind in the factory.  Who would have ever though that the clipboards we use and the protection gear our military wears was produced by legally blind people. That is absolutely amazing and I agree with David that it is something that everyday people walking by the building should know! After my trip to the Industries of the Blind I was embarrassed that I drove pass the building every day and did not know the level of productivity that occurred daily.  For that very fact, I think David is doing a great thing by trying to advertise and I am so excited to be working with the building to make it more pleasing and attracting to the average person.  

Factory Area
 Pathway Lines
 Upstairs Lobby Areas/ Conference Room door
 Upstairs Lobby Area/Stairway

No comments:

Post a Comment