Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Theory Response: March 18

When thinking about designing a winter retreat for writers the article A Pattern Of Language was very helpful in supplying ideas for my design proposal.  I think it would be very important to have a small entry way which is on a secluded side of the house.  I think it is also important to have a large common area with several large windows facing the South so that natural light is a huge source of the lighting.  Also, if writers wish to gather and chat or write in this area, it is very welcoming and the sun will bring in warmth. I think it is also important to have a rather large porch facing south-west giving writers a place to gather outside and think as the days sun goes down.  The bedrooms should face South-east as to wake up with the sun and have some daily exposer to natural sunlight.  I think the pattern of a private house is very important so the common areas are in the front of the house and the bedrooms are located in the back of the house.  I would place the bathroom and kitchen in the middle of the house because they are mutual areas shared by all. I also see placing the building on a long east-west axis important to keep the heat in during the winter which makes the building more pleasant and cheaper to run.  I think having a looping area would be nice for the building so that as people pass from their rooms they pass into the common room and through the kitchen.  Although to make a realistic building many of the patterns I have chosen would have to be rearranged accordingly, I think that they are all important in designing of a winter retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment