Thursday, February 3, 2011

React: Theory Reading Feb. 4 : Design Manifesto

Webster’s Dictionary defines manifesto as : A written statement declaring  publicly the intentions, motives, or views of its user.   In the world of design we all write, draw, and model manifestos with every project that we do.  Designing is exploring, stepping outside reality and dreaming up something original.  When one goes beyond what is real, he or she must be able to express ideas clearly so that people can visualize the same thing that he or she is visualizing.  Sketches and models are the best way to represent ideas in design.  This takes time and dedication because good craftsmanship is key.  Sketching is still not one of my strong points but it is something that I am practicing and improving on and it makes me excited when I see my worked pinned up in class and think “wow! I did that.”   Trial and error are also elements that make up design and designers can always improve.  I have spent hours upon hours in studio working on a model or a sketch only to get frustrated because something does not work out like I had thought but this is all the fun of design.  It is like having to figure out a puzzle, not only do you only have part of the puzzle you also have to go out, find/make the rest of the pieces and somehow, in the end it is comes out to make a picture.  I once heard someone say, designing is never complete and I believe this is true.  Even when I am finished with a project, new ideas are always running through my head; ways I could make something better or do something different.  I also believe that design is very reflective of one’s personality because designing is all about the individual and what one creates in his or her head, even if they are designing for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment