Sunday, February 6, 2011

Illuminated Box

For our first project of the semester we were asked to make a box and divide it into 4 sections. During the first phase we were asked to cut, tear, or manipulate in anyway the outside of our box so when we focused a light on the box, the inside was divided into 4 distinct sections.  The second phase we were asked to add skewers or paper to help divide and emphasize the 4 sections. 

When working with my box I focused on thinking about dividing the space within my box equally. After many trials and errors, I put 4 cuts in  the center of my box in a fan shape.  When shinning the light through the cutouts, there are 4 distinct areas of light and 4 areas of dark.  To emphasize the areas of light I added 4 similar shaped pieces of bristol board mimicing the 4 cuts on the top.  Adding the bristol board allowed the light to be illuminated onto the paper making this center moment dramatic and important. The paper captured the light in the center while at the same time releasing it.  I thought of this as being a scultual opening in the center of a building where in the center people gathered and associated.










No comments:

Post a Comment