Saturday, October 30, 2010

A System of Wood

For our project leading up to our Luminare, we were to make a system from one 18 inch peice of 2x4.  We were to use every peice of the 2x4 and make a system through connecting the wood WITHOUT any binders meaning, glue, nails, etc.  This project was to help us become familiar with the woodshop and tools and also, so that we might understand what a system is because most of the world opperates through systems.

System: An assemblage combination of things or parts forming a complex or unitary whole. (dictionary.com)

My system


                                            Final

                                              I started out playing around in the woodshop and decided to use fingerjoints to connect my system

                                                
                          18'',16'',14'',12''10'',8'',6'',4'',2''
I cut my 2x4 into 4 peices and from there cut each board 2 in shorter than the last ending up with 9 peices ranging from 18'' to 2''.  In doing this I used every peice of my 2x4.
 
 My finger joints were 3/4'' down and from there i drilled 1/2'' holes 1 1/4'' down to connect my finger 1/2'' wide fingerjoints into to make a sturdy hold.



System of Patterns
                                               

                                                      Here and throughout my whole project you can see that my system focuses on patterns through measurements and overlapping of connections
                                      Joining area







I feel my project is a good representation of a system of wood. One can see the patterns, which is an important part of a system.  Also, one can see how i connected the wood using only fingerjoints and drilled holes that percise mearsurements to them which represents my wholes system's measurements working with 2''.

I used a good amount of the machines down in the woodshop which was an interesting experience because I had never really worked with powertools before. I found it fun once I got the hang of it and can see myself taking more trips down to the woodshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment